STUDENT OPINION FORMS
Updated 1-01-03, New Form and Process Approved April 22, 2002 by GCSU Faculty
A. Who, when, how often.
1. For faculty in service at Georgia College & State University at the beginning of a calendar year two courses per semester are to be administered the Student Opinion Survey online. One of these courses must be chosen by the chairperson, each semester and the other course must be chosen by the faculty member, each semester. Both courses each semester are to be chosen with consultation between the faculty member and the department chairperson and either choice may be appealed.
2. The Student Opinion Survey shall be administered in a minimum two courses per semester, except as outlined in item 5 below.
3. Exceptions to the two course each semester policy, which are caused by unusual instructional situations (such as tutorial instruction, etc.) must be approved by the chairperson and college dean, and an alternative procedure must be specified and approved by both.
4. The Student Opinion Survey in a given semester will be administered at some time after mid-term, but prior to one week before the final exam period begins.
5. When a faculty member of one department teaches in another department, the chairperson of the other department may select, after consultation with the faculty member, an evaluation instrument and require that it be used in one class each calendar year. This student evaluation may be counted as one of the two minimum required summative Student Opinion Survey if both department chairpersons agree.
Otherwise, this Student Opinion Survey is to be treated as a formative evaluation, and the chairperson of the other department must share the results with the faculty member and with that faculty member's chairperson no later than two weeks into the semester following completion of the course.
6. Faculty members shall have access to all Student Opinion Survey information that pertains to them and the right to have copies of it for their use.
B. Timing of chairperson's selection of course to be evaluated.
Chairpersons shall inform individual faculty members no later than midterm of the courses that they are assigning to be administered the Student Opinion Survey unless they have the approval of or unless it is done at the request of the dean or Provost as a special Student Opinion Survey.
C. Procedures for administering the Student Opinion Survey.
1. A decision is made to administer a Student Opinion Survey to a class. The faculty person will inform their students in the class that they have selected to be assessed during the term and that the process has been launched; emails will be sent to students informing them that the process has started.
2. The chairperson reviews the Student Opinion Surveys. The Student Opinion Survey forms are then returned to the Director of Institutional Planning and Policy Analysis for analysis. The Director of Institutional Research generates the reports detailed below.
a. 1. Login to your MyCats account: http://mycats.gcsu.edu
2. Under PAWS Links click Personal Information.
3. Click on Student Opinion of Teaching Survey Results.
4. The survey results form will be opened and then follow the on-screen instructions.
b. The Student Opinion Survey reports, as well as other documentation used as a basis for a chairperson's evaluation on the Department Chairperson's Evaluation of Faculty Performance, are retained by the chair.
c. No personnel decisions will be made only on the basis of the Student Opinion Survey.