SICK LEAVE, WITH PAY
Policy: Board of Regents Policy Manual Section 126.96.36.199 http://www.usg.edu/policymanual/section8/
USG Academic Affairs Handbook Section 4, http://www.usg.edu/academic_affairs_handbook/section4/
- All regular full-time employees in the categories of twelve (12) month Faculty, Administrative Officers, Professional or Administrative Personnel and Staff Personnel shall accrue sick leave at the rate of eight (8) hours per calendar month of service, nine (9) month faculty accrue 8 hours per month of service. All regular part-time employees in the above categories working one-half time or more will accrue sick leave in an equivalent ratio to their percentage of time employed. Sick leave shall be cumulative.
- Sick leave may be granted, upon approval of the supervisor, for any of the following reasons:
(a) Illness or injury of the employee. (b) Medical and dental treatment or consultation. (c) Quarantine due to a contagious illness in the employees household. (d) Disability due to pregnancy. (e) Illness, injury, or death in the employees immediate family requiring the employees presence. Immediate family shall include: mother, father, husband, wife, son, daughter, brother, sister, mother-in-law, father-in-law, son-in-law, daughter-in-law, sister-in-law, brother-in-law, and grandparents.
- If sick leave is claimed for a continuous period in excess of five (5) working days, a physicians statement is required to permit further claim of sick leave benefits by the employee-patient. At his/her discretion, the supervisor may require a statement of a shorter period. A copy of the physicians statement shall be forwarded to the Office of Human Resources at the time such leave is reported on the monthly Leave Request Form.
- Official holidays falling within the period an employee is on paid sick leave shall not be charged against sick leave time.
- A terminating employee shall not accumulate sick leave or be entitled to receive sick pay after the last working day of his/her employment.
Interpretation of Sick Leave Policy for Full Time Faculty, Source: Board of Regents Academic Affairs Handbook--(06/05/2002)
The following provisions for the reporting of sick leave shall apply to all full time faculty, employed by institutions of the University System of Georgia, who serve primarily in assignments defined by faculty roles in instruction, research and scholarly activity, and service.
Faculty are responsible for informing their Chair of any illness that prohibits them from meeting their assigned responsibilities in instruction, research, and service.
In reporting sick leave, academic year faculty will report leave based on the number of whole hours sick as defined by the BOR Policy 802.08, with a full day being eight (8) hours, a half day being four (4) hours, and less than a half day based on whole hours missed, with a full week being the equivalent of a forty-hour workweek.
Nothing in this policy shall be interpreted to indicate that faculty work on a standardized schedule.