OFFICE OF GRANTS AND SPONSORED PROJECTS
The Office of Grants and Sponsored Projects provides support to faculty and staff in obtaining external financial support for research and sponsored program activities. Grant writers are encouraged to consult with the Office of Grants and Sponsored Projects at an early stage in the formulation of the ideas for seeking external funds. Pertinent information about the proposal should be electronically shared by using the Early Notification System. The system will send an email to the university officials with specifics regarding the project and notify the Office of Grants and Sponsored Projects of any assistance needed to complete the proposal. (http://info.gcsu.edu/4DLink/4DCGI/GrantProposal/ENS.html)
Because the university will supply either direct or indirect support on every grant, all requests for external funds must be reviewed and approved by the departmental chair, academic dean, chief information officer, associate vice president for extended university, and vice president for Administrative Services & Campus Operations prior to submission to the funding agency. This required review will in no way censure or thwart individual faculty projects but rather serve to keep university officials informed. Please use the Grant Approval and Budget Summary Form to initiate the internal review process. The form is located at http://info.gcsu.edu/4dLink/4DCGI/GrantProposal/approvalquestion.html
If requested, OGSP staff may provide the following services:
- Assistance with locating potential sponsors.
The Office of Grants and Sponsored Projects can assist with locating grant proposal information and guidelines for most agencies. The Grants Intranet (http:/info.gcsu.edu/4DLink/4DCGI/GrantProposal/ENS.html) contains numerous links to agencies and organizations that support research and sponsored projects.
The office also provides the following services:
- Conduct on-line searches, including the Grants Resource Center and Grants.gov
- Conduct individualized searches
- Disseminate funding information through
- Daily forwarding of funding opportunities
- Frequent E-bulletins
- Weekly mini-newsletters
- Monthly newsletters
- Contact sponsors.
- Assist with making initial contacts regarding a sponsored project. Faculty are encouraged to contact the program officer about the project. (Please contact the Office of Grants and Sponsored Projects for a list of questions to help guide the conversation.)
- Maintain contacts for an ongoing project.
- Assist with the preparation of the proposal (particularly the budget section) as follows:
- Provide assistance in proposal development and preparation
- Provide editing assistance
- Produce and sponsor workshops
- via web conferences to federal sponsors
- with outside specialists
- Provide tip sheets
- Provide samples of funded proposals
- Discuss design or program methodology
- Assist with budget development and budget narrative
- Review draft proposal and budget for compliance with university policies
- Obtain necessary approvals and submit the proposal
All proposals involving GCSU as an institution must be internally reviewed and approved before being submitted to a sponsor. Proposals will be transmitted to the sponsoring agency on behalf of the grant writer by the Office of Grants and Sponsored Projects only after assurance that all university and agency requirements have been met.