INTERNATIONAL STUDENT SERVICES
The International Education Center promotes international and cross-cultural learning, as well as respect for diversity and assists the university in producing graduates who are prepared to accept their responsibilities as citizens of the world. In order to achieve its mission, the International Education Center works with faculty members and students to internationalize both curricular and co-curricular dimensions of the liberal arts education offered at Georgia College & State University in its many programs on campus and abroad, thereby helping students develop the knowledge, attitudes and skills necessary to understand and effectively participate in the global society.
To achieve those objectives, the International Education Center works collaboratively with colleges and departments, as well as administrative and program offices, to internationalize the university. The International Education Center:
- Works with faculty to incorporate a global perspective within the curriculum; oversees the International Option Degree-Designation; directs the International Studies Minor; and assists with the African, Asian, and Latin American & Caribbean Studies Minors, and the European Union Certificate Program;
- Organizes international programs and lectures on campus, including International Week, the International Dinner, First Friday Foreign Films, and the Global Citizenship Symposium;
- Oversees international student recruitment and admissions;
- Provides international student advisement, programming and services, including counseling international students on admissions procedures, immigrations and procedures, medical insurance, housing, financial assistance, taxes, adjustment to life in the United States and academic concerns.
- Organizes study opportunities abroad and prepares students to participate in study and internship programs abroad;
- Advises the International Club, Casa Mondo residential learning community, the Connections program, and other student-focused activities;
- Coordinates community outreach by both international and study abroad students who assist with international programming in the colleges, with community organizations, etc.;
- Manages student and faculty exchange agreements with partner universities worldwide;
- Assists faculty members to extend their own awareness of the world and to incorporate that awareness into the courses they teach, as well as assisting international faculty who are resident at GCSU.
The International Education Center of Georgia's Public Liberal Arts University promotes international and cross-cultural learning, as well as respect for diversity, and helps the university produce graduates who are prepared to accept their responsibilities as citizens of the world. In order to achieve its mission, the International Education Center works with faculty members and students to internationalize both curricular and co-curricular dimensions of the liberal arts education offered at Georgia College & State University. Its programs on campus and abroad help students develop the knowledge, attitudes and skills necessary to understand and effectively to participate in the global society.
Keeping in mind that international and intercultural studies are one of the four cornerstones of a Georgia College education, the International Education Committee and the International Education Center aspire to achieve the following goals. They encourage the various colleges and departments to assist Georgia College in reaching them.
- As part of the requirements for graduation for each major, all departments will incorporate an international and cross-cultural dimension.
- All colleges and departments will encourage international teaching, research and service in their promotion and tenure policies and consider international experience in their hiring criteria.
- Three percent of the students enrolled at Georgia College will be international.
- An increasing number of the undergraduate students enrolled at Georgia College will go abroad each year for significant summer or semester programs of study.
- Georgia College & State University will expand its international relationships that provide the university with a worldwide network representative of all world regions and a classroom that is the world.
- Student participation in co-curricular international programs will continue to increase.
- The International Education Center will expand its contacts with international alumni/-ae.
- The International Education Center will expand its public relations efforts.
Up-to-date information is available at: