HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSITY
Georgia College was founded in 1889 as Georgia Normal & Industrial College (GN&IC) with a mission to provide an education to women in Georgia in areas such as dressmaking, cooking, stenography, typewriting, bookkeeping, and industrial drawing. In 1917, the college offered degree programs and granted four-year degrees in 1922. Along with these changes, the college changed its name for the first time to Georgia State College for Women (GSCW). In 1932, the college became part of the University System of Georgia.
In an effort to increase enrollment, the college began its first graduate program in 1959 when the Master of Education degree was offered to students. To reflect the administration's belief that the college should remain an all-women's school, the name was changed in 1967 to The Woman's College of Georgia. However, in 1967, the University System Chancellor announced that the college would begin admitting male students, and the name was changed again to Georgia College at Milledgeville.
With the admission of men to the school, the college quickly expanded to serve the entire Middle Georgia region. In order to meet the needs of its students, the college opened satellite campuses in Warner Robins, Macon, and Dublin. The college also began offering more masters degrees in the fields of business administration, history, management, public administration, home economics, social administration, psychology, and biology. In 1971 the college's name was shortened to Georgia College.
In 1996 the Board of Regents offered Georgia College the statewide mission of becoming a liberal arts University, providing a high standard of education for Georgia College students. With this new mission came the name: Georgia College & State University.
Currently, Georgia College offers more than 46 baccalaureate, 14 pre-professional programs and 38 graduate degree programs and awards more than 1,100 degrees annually, of which 300 are graduate.
This information, and much more, is available in the University Archives. For a full history of Georgia College, visit http://www.gcsu.edu/library/sc/collections/ua/gcsuhistory.htm.