FACULTY RESEARCH GRANTS COMMITTEE
The university has a Faculty Research Grants Committee, which is an administrative committee reporting to the Chief Academic Officer. The Faculty Research Grants Committee reviews and selects proposals from faculty, departments and colleges for scholarly research grants that result in the professional development of the faculty.
The committee is comprised of 10 corps of instruction faculty, distributed as follows:
- Three (3) members representing the College of Arts & Sciences
- One (1) selected from the natural sciences including mathematics
- One (1) selected from the social sciences
- One (1) selected from the fine arts [art, music, theatre, literature
- Two (2) members representing the J. Whitney Bunting College of Business
- Two (2) members representing the John H. Lounsbury College of Education
- Two (2) members representing the College of Health Sciences
- One (1) member representing the Library
The committee membership shall be selected subject to the following requirements.
Members are appointed by the Chief Academic Officer (CAO) or her/his designee based on faculty research expertise and representative of the four areas of scholarship as defined by Boyer (Discovery, Integration, Application, Teaching).
Members are nominated by the Deans of the academic units in consultation with the faculty [or representative body of the faculty] of the respective academic unit.
To be eligible to serve on this committee, a Corps of Instruction faculty member must have tenure.
Terms of Service
Appointed members shall serve three-year terms, staggered so as to ensure that there is always a representative from each academic unit [except the library which has only one representative] with at least one year of prior service. The intent is to have approximately two-thirds of the membership continue serving each year.
1. The committee chair shall be elected by the committee membership for a one year term of service.
2. The committee shall appoint/elect other officers as it deems appropriate.
1. The committee shall receive its charge in writing annually from the CAO or her/his designee.
2. The committee shall make recommendations on the allocation of funding to the CAO or her/his designee.
3. The committee shall include with each allocation a sunset clause to specify the date by which the funding must be used or encumbered. Failure of the applicant to comply shall result in forfeiture of allocated funds.
4. The committee shall have a set of guidelines for funding requests including a maximum allocation amount expressed as a percentage of total funding available
The following duties are also pertinent to the scope of this committee:
- Review of policy and procedures related to the conduct of faculty and/or university research.
- Submission of relevant research policy proposals through the CAO to the university senate for recommendation to the university president the sections that follow relate to Faculty Grants and Research.