Following are section 8.2.15 and 126.96.36.199 of the Board of Regents Policy Manual which set forth the standards and guidelines concerning consulting and outside employment. http://www.usg.edu/policymanual/section8/
An employee of the University System of Georgia should avoid actual or apparent conflict of interests between his or her college or university obligations and his or her outside activities.
Policy: BOR Policy Manual Section 8.2.15—Occupational http://www.usg.edu/policymanual/section8/
- An employee of the University System shall not engage in any occupation, pursuit, or endeavor which will interfere with the regular and punctual discharge of official duties.
- All full-time faculty, administrators, and other professional staff members employed by an institution of the University System are expected to give full professional effort to their assignments of teaching, research, and service.
- Professional employees are encouraged to participate in professional activity that does not interfere with the regular and punctual discharge of official duties provided the activity meets one of the following criteria: (1) is a means of personal professional development; (2) serves the community, state or nation; or (3) is consistent with the objectives of the institution.
- For all activities, except single-occasion activities, the employee shall report in writing through official channels the proposed arrangements and secure the approval of the president or his/her designee prior to engaging in the activities. Such activities include consulting, teaching, speaking, and participating in business or service enterprises.
Policy: BOR Policy Manual Section 8.2.15—Consulting http://www.usg.edu/policymanual/section8/
Recognizing that teaching, research, and public service are the primary responsibilities of faculty members in the University System of Georgia, it shall be considered reasonable and desirable for faculty members to engage in consulting activities, which are defined for purposes of this policy as any additional activity beyond duties assigned by the institution, professional in nature and based in the appropriate discipline for which the individual receives additional compensation during the contract year. Each institution of the University System shall adopt guidelines governing consulting activities of faculty members which shall include the following:
- A plan for reimbursing the institution for use of the institution's personnel, facilities, equipment and/or materials consistent with rates charged outside groups or persons.
- A procedure for obtaining prior approval of the president or his/her designee.
- A procedure for defining and prohibiting conflicts of interest.